Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Old Friends in Reading

Now where was I? After seeing Shirl off on the train on Saturday, I was at a bit of a loose end so I thought I'd go shopping in Reading. My friends Mike and Darren live in Tilehurst, so I texted them to see if they wanted to meet up at some point. Darren phoned back to say they had company - my friends Michael and Paul that I used to know from work in Maesteg!!! I was delighted and set off to see them on the next train (as there was 1/2 hour wait at Farnborough North I snuck into the Prince for a swift half of Triple fff 'Pressed Rat & Warthog', very nice too).
Met the boys in Waterstones, then we showed Michael the John Lewis department store. Paul told me David Morgan's in Cardiff is due to close! I don't really understand why department stores have gone out of favour, except that the staff are so snobby.
By then the guys were hungry so we went to Jongleurs, which had lots of 2 for 1 offers on food and drinks. They all had white wine spritzers and I had 2 pints of San Miguel, we chuckled at the gender reversal. Then on to Revolution vodka bar, one of Darren's favourites. I bought everyone white wine spritzers again, and Darren and Mike bought vodka sticks (pallets with 6 different flavoured vodkas on them). I was sipping Hoegaarden and sipping different vodkas, of a lunchtime, getting totally smashed! Then I had to scoot round Sainsburys before going home, not surprisingly I forgot a few things.
It was great to see Michael and Paul again, and catch up with the gossip from Maesteg. Got me missing other friends again. Will have to emal some of them and ask them how they're doing...

No comments: