Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Wedding of the Millennium

Despite my worries, the Wedding went almost perfectly and the day was extremely enjoyable! It was good to see so many of our friends and family there to support us and share in our celebration.
The hair appointment wasn't a disaster, as I'd feared because it was with an unknown hairdresser - Amy did a good, professional job. However I didn't trust the makeup artist and ended up doing the makeup myself!! These are the kinds of problems you get trying to sort these things out in a new city.
The cake was ready at Marks and Spencer in the morning so Jane and I went down to get it - it was packaged securely so it was fine in the boot of her car till it got to the Swan Hotel in Bradford on Avon, which was where our Wedding Breakfast was. Jane and Shirley tied, zipped and buttoned me into my wonderful dark burgundy wedding dress, and I'd finished my makeup and nails just in time before the Rolls Royce (1965 from Ace Wedding Cars) arrived.
It was an exciting journey from Bath to Bradford on Avon in the Rolls, and we passed near both town centres so there were lots of people to wave at! The Rolls was very luxurious inside, with lots of leather and wood panels - the driver was nice as well, obviously enjoying his chauffeuring.
As soon as we drew up at the West Barn, I was collared by both the Registrar and the photographers! I was a little late by the time they had finished with me, but recognised Show of Hand's "You're Mine" at last which was my cue to walk down the aisle to meet Patrick.
Well, thankfully I managed to get through our vows and ring words (which we had chosen ourselves) without crying! A lot of people did get rather emotional, naming no names. The Registrars were great and it was such a beautiful ceremony. There was a slight cock up with signing the register as I forgot my Dad's middle name, but it was all sorted and after more photos I went back down the aisle to Eliza Carthy's version of "The Little Gypsy" and everyone started clapping along!!
The meal at the Swan Hotel was excellent and the boat trip in the evening aboard the Barbara McLellan couldn't have been more appropriate! As Patrick had steered trip boats before, he was allowed a little while at the tiller. It was a good opportunity for people to mingle and chat to each other without loud music blaring, and with beautiful views along the Kennet and Avon canal. Plus all the money went to the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust, a worthy cause.
No official photos as yet but some friends and relations have taken snaps - they will appear on Facebook, Myspace and Valerie's Gallery soon!

2 comments:

Peter @ Enviroman said...

Hi Valeri,

Please look at add visitor counter and get back to me.

Valerie Moss said...

Hi Peter
Statcounter sent me an extremely useful email. I had been clicking on "add your own gadget" then wondered why there was only ad "add url" option. All I needed to do was NOT pick "add your own gadget" but "HTML/JavaScript" which was further down on the list.
Thanks
Val