Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hen Weekend in Bath, Saturday Crawl

I had a great time on my hen night! Several of my friends were staying over, so some met me at the house before getting the taxi into town. The first port of call was the Coeur de Lion, a superb little pub - a country pub in the middle of the shopping centre of Bath. Slater's 'Top Totty' was the obligatory pint here! The retired men at the bar looked somewhat confused at a hen night arriving in their local but took it all in good spirit.
Next was the Green Tree, another small cosy pub with a long back room. The regulars gave us a few 'oh no, not a hen party' looks but the bar staff were really friendly. Sancha had some very wierd looking cider - bright blue, apparently flavoured with blueberries!
Then it was off to the Garrick's Head for a meal. Most of us thought the food was great - I certainly enjoyed my lamb cutlets, and Jane enjoyed her beef skirt! Claire and Kathy found their chips a bit underdone which was disappointing for a gastropub with such a good reputation. I was taken aback by the service charge - at a pub restaurant?? The service was vey good though. Beer was great as well.
Next port of call was the Salamander, one of Patrick's regular haunts. The Bath Ales 'Wild Hare' was magnificent but the pub was very overcrowded. We could have sat in the dining room bit but it was closed - why?
Lastly we staggered to the Raven, not far away. They had been a bit more enterprising and opened their upstairs room and bar. We met up with some kindred spirits - a group dressed as pirates, celebrating someone's birthday. Julie has a photo of me with 'Captain Jack'!
After the Raven I vaguely remember getting a taxi outside the Abbey and, upon arriving home, crashing out on the sofa still in my dress.

No comments: