Monday, September 01, 2008

Choirfest 2008

Last weekend we headed East for Choirfest, a series of singing workshops at Mellow Farm, Dockenfield with optional camping, ceilidh and singing around the campfire! This is run by my old choir leader, Anna Tabbush with her family and friends. It was a great opportunity to meet up with my old friends from Guildford Vox and learn some excellent new songs. While I was singing, Patrick explored the area, walking to Frensham Ponds which isn't far away from the peaceful little campsite.
This year Paul Sartin (fiddle player with Bellowhead, amongst other bands) had to drop out as a tutor, but instead we had Lucky Mayo, a Zulu singer from Zimbabwe. He just stole the show, I'm afraid, with his exciting performances of 'Mbonu Baba' and 'Inkululeko' complete with Zulu drum and dancing (we had to pretend to hold shields and spears!). But I'm sure the Tabbushes and Sarah Morgan didn't mind. Other songs that I really enjoyed learning were Mike Harding's 'King Cotton' taught by Carolyn Robson, and the traditional 'Old Sir Simon the King' taught by Freya Tabbush. I don't think I could sing it (all two verses and three choruses) in one minute though!
There was tons of food at the barbie, as usual, and the ceilidh in the beautiful medieval barn was excellent fun. Weather was great on the Saturday, but it was stormy from the early hours of Sunday so I didn't get a lot of sleep! Luckily there was a sunny spell at lunchtime, so the tent dried out a bit before Patrick packed it away.
Good to see everyone again and I hope to be back next year and make it a regular thing!

No comments: