Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Su Hart and Friends at the Bell, Bath

And now for something completely different!
Su Hart, my new choir leader, told us she'd be launching her first solo album at the Bell this Monday. Having heard her with the group Baka Beyond I knew I'd be in for a treat. The Bell is a superb venue as well, although perhaps not for an album launch night - most of the punters are just after free background music and a few beers (superb range of real ales by the way - I had RCH Pitchfork which I hadn't had in a long time - delicious!). The sound quality was very good, and as the band started more and more people started to pile in. Inevitably most of the choir turned up to see Su but a lot of other locals also arrived - perhaps notified by mobile phone from their mates already in the pub "There's this fantastic band on tonight, get yourself down here ASAP!" With the exception of Robb Johnson they were probably in an entirely different league to the usual bands at the Bell.
The exuberant mixture of Celtic, African and Carribean influenced songs soon got people dancing - including myself and Patrick. A crowd of people collected in front of the stage, and as the Bell is quite small things soon became rather cramped. A man in a turban type thingy was doing some very enthusiastic dancing, he seemed to know all the words and later joined the band on stage for one number.
We did buy the album as well, of course. It's called "Worth It After All". Patrick's favourite track is Zombie Jamboree (a bit different to the Spinners' version) - he can't stop singing it. I like The Great Valerio - but then I would!! You can buy it online at www.baka.co.uk
I'd also recommend seeing Baka Beyond or Su Hart and Friends live - you're guaranteed a good time!

1 comment:

Camberley Angel said...

You have been busy enjoying yourself lately! wish I could have been there, I have been up to my elbows in grease/mould and pure filth!

What a great start to married life. I have taken photo's and they will be appearing on my blog, when I have a free minute.

Take care and see you soon

Sue Helliwell