Sunday, April 15, 2007

Reading Passport Challenge

The weather's been beautiful today so I've been out on my bike, visiting the few last pubs on my Reading CAMRA passport. Yesterday I was invited to TWO barbecues in Reading, and as well as partying also managed to squeeze in some pubs near the town centre that I can't usually get to - the lovely Butcher's Arms in Tilehurst, the friendly Eldon Arms just off the A4 and the excellent Hop Leaf on Southampton Street (supped some Hop Back Entire Stout there, flippin' gorgeous!).
So today I had a choice - 2 pubs in Theale or two pubs in Hurst? I also really wanted to go to the Bull Inn in Sonning, as I had heard how good it was from a lady in the Eldon. In the end I decided on the Prince of Wales in Caversham, which I'd been to before and knew was nice, then on to Sonning down the Thames Path then back through Hurst (even though it meant a spare pub) to Wokingham and the train home.
Had a nice half of Brakspear Organic Beer, then it was on to the Bull, which was very busy by contrast. The food looked good but I couldn't really afford a meal so had some speciality nuts instead!
Next it was a longish stretch to Hurst - thought I'd cut off a corner by going down Park Lane which was very quiet and picturesque, and I also passed an interesting looking 'Brakspear' pub called the Land's End. Unfortunately there was a ford on the other side of it! My trouser bottoms got rather wet but the little mountainbike-hybrid was unfazed.
The two Greene King pubs in Hurst weren't really inspiring, but their Greene King IPA was OK. Then wobbled to Wokingham with my 13 stickers, having achieved a free VIP beer festival ticket. And some sunburn. Ow!

4 comments:

TCA said...

Sounds like a perfect day!

TCA said...

Brakspear Organic Beer is lovely. They don't sell that in the Colonies.

TCA said...

Hey, Billy-Bob - you never could resist a morris dancette.

;o)

TCA said...

ONE day Val will list us in her 'friends'.

:o(