Saturday, January 28, 2006

Richard Thompson at the Anvil, Basingstoke

Some trauma getting there. Just as I was on the train to Ash, my mate Mike Whittall whom I hadn't seen in ages texted me to say he'd meet me in the Squirrel. However I'd already asked Simon and Jane for a lift to the Anvil from Ash, where they live.
I'd told Simon that I wanted to be picked up either at Ash station or the Dovers Arms. So I texted back to say 'meet me in the Dover's instead' which he duly did. But then I hadn't realised that while Simon was picking me up from the station, Helen was driving us all from Simon and Jane's house! So in the end I had about 2 minutes in the pub with Mike and his work colleague before dashing out to meet a rather annoyed Simon.
Then, just as we were heading up past Frimley, Jane realised she'd left the tickets at home, so we had to drive all the way back. Helen seemed more annoyed with Simon though, for being so unhelpful!
Whilst Other Val and Bill Badger were in the Cricketers, Simon, Jane and myself found our seats and listened to the support act, Jeb. He played blues, it was a bit samey but OK, not as awful as some support acts can be.
We met Bill and Other Val, then shuffled in for Richard Thompson at 8pm, and he played right through to 11pm - great!
Richard has an amazing stage presence - you can tell straight away that he's a superstar. And his playing! Astounding! I'd love to see a guitar-off between him and Martin Simpson. The songs he'd written were all top quality. He played Vincent Black Lightning and Beeswing which are amongst my favourites of his. Didn't like the jazzy stuff so much, but as least I could watch his skilled fingers on the guitar. The double-bassist he had accompanying him (also called Thompson!) was very good as well.
A great night out, well worth £19.50!!

2 comments:

Mark said...

Richard Thompson is always worth the price and effort. Great guitarist, but it is more than matched with his song writing.

He normally had Danny Thompson on double bass. If he was playing, then that would mean there would have been 3 Thompsons on stage!

Valerie Moss said...

Sorry, that was Danny Thompson on Bass. Excuse my musical ignorance, I've corrected the post now!
Val