Saturday, February 04, 2006

'Daughters of Albion' at the Barbican

What a horrible venue! A concrete and plastic monstrosity in the middle of an urban jungle. Not a good setting for folk music, you might think, and the sell out crowd of hippies young and old didn't look very comfortable. Bill and I hadn't eaten, but there was a queue for the cafe and a bouncer on the door.
However the seats were nice and confortable, and we had a good view despite being in the cheap seats, on the far left at the front. We could see the artists arriving on stage, and as the BBC were recording, were being filmed each time clapping in the background.
The Daughters of Albion were June Tabor, Norma Waterson, Eliza Carthy, Kathryn Williams, Sheila Chandra & Lou Rhodes, with a surprise appearance from Vashti Bunyan. Far from being enslav'd and weeping as in the Blake poem, the ladies were feisty and romantic, performing a variety of songs, some from women composers such as Lal Waterson, Kirsty MacColl and PJ Harvey, some written themselves, and some anonymous traditional songs from the women's perspective. Eliza Carthy was an excellent compere and my favourite of the seven - she has such a powerful, expressive voice and cheerful stage presence. Hadn't seen Sheila Chandra before - she used to be in a band called Monsoon whom I'd vaguely heard of - but was very impressed with her version of Reynardine. Kathryn Williams was very heavily pregnant, and did a rather breathy version of 'This Woman's Work' which is apparently about childbirth. Lucky her waters DIDN'T break on stage - that would have been embarrassing!!
June Tabor sang accompanied by the piano, which I don't quite agree with - it's not a folk instrument, not unless it's a badly-tuned pub joanna! But enjoyed her version of Lili Marlene. Norma Warterson was very good as well, although Eliza did tend to drown her out during their duets. Lou Rodes has a lovely deep voice, think she should have put her shoes on, there's a lot of discarded takeaways and dog poo on the streets of London! Vashti Bunyan was a bit disappointing, she only had a weak voice and she made a mistake during her song, coming in too early on one line. Perhaps she was just nervous though.
The concert had a great atmosphere - you could see that the performers liked and supported each other - and it was nice to feel the sisterly vibes coming from the audience as well.
The ladies got a standing ovation at the end, well deserved too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Val,
Thanks ever so much for leaving a comment on my blog. I love your blog too, and will add it to my links page! Folk music is so cool right now – there is just so much great music out there! I’m really into Spiers & Boden, Bellowhead, Chris Wood etc at the moment – how about yourself? My interest in folk has really taken off over the last year since I started morris dancing, and going to folk festivals! Did you go to any folk festivals last year? I went to the Oysterband’s end of season festival last September in Herefordshire. It was called ‘under the green hill’, and I named my blog after it! I like real ale too (Bateman’s ‘Combined Harvest’ is my favourite at the moment!) I’m still quite new to quakerism but I find quakers are so open and welcoming and give you the space to work out your own spirituality – at the moment I’d probably describe myself as a humanist quaker!

Anyway, thanks once again, and pop me an e-mail or leave another comment on my blog anytime if you want to chat about folk or other stuff!
Warm wishes,
Simon

Mark said...

Hi,

My thanks also for stopping by. Glad you liked the post. To me, folk is going through exciting times, and the sheer musicality is streets ahead of a lot of mainstream these days.

I've now blogged you, and I will be stopping by again in the future.

P.S., I'm about to go on a beer sabatical for a couple of months, - I need to lose some weight so I can get back on my bike!

Mark said...

P.S. Did you click the link on my sidebar that asks if you want to smile click here. Do so, it's a Spears and Boden track with accompaning art work. Itis rather good.

Anonymous said...

Hi again Val,
Unfortunately I can't make it to Leicester for Oysterband - I really like their Big Session version of John Barleycorn with June Tabor. I'm hoping to see Spiers & Boden for the first time in March though. I saw Bellowhead at Bridgnorth Folk Festival, but haven't seen them as a duo. I'm looking forward to seeing the next episode of Folk Britannia this evening. And with the Radio 2 Folk Awards I'm all folked out this week! Cheers and all the best, Simon