Saturday, January 21, 2006

Last Night's Fun at Electric Theatre, Guildford

Bill Badger and I had seen Last Night's Fun at Fareham and Gosport Folk Festival before, but he wasn't that keen on them, although I thought they were a hoot. So I persuaded him to get 2 tickets for the gig, and was glad I did.
A few years ago Last Night's Fun just did jigs and reels, they were really an Irish pub session band, except better musicians than most. Now they do a balance of songs and Irish dance music, with ample opportunity to show off Denny Bartley's and Nick Scott's undoubted talent, as well as Chris Sherburn's dry Yorkshire humour! So Hubby enjoyed himself after all. Chris is rather easy on the eye as well, I have to say ;-)
Denny's slowed-down ballad version of 'Whisky in the Jar' was masterful, but Nick Scott did a breathtaking solo on the Uillean pipes, which was the highlight of the evening for me.
Cheered me up on a dark Winter's day!

No comments: