Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Bath Life

Hi all
Finally I'm back on the internet again! As there's no phone line or wireless system in our rented flat here in Bath, I needed a mobile connection which the knackered old PC from Farnborough couldn't cope with. As it's essential to be online these days for job searching, Patrick bought me a Compaq Presario C500 laptop, which is fab, and only £275 ex-demo from a computer fair in Tottenham Court Road. He also bought a Vodaphone Mobile Connection which has good reception here - it only works at dial-up speed but it will get me by till we buy a house together and can get broadband again.
Before that, Patrick and I had visited the Terracotta Warriors at the British Museum - a fascinating exhibition. The scale of the First Emperor's tomb, the wealth and the insight into the ancient Chinese way of life was awesome. I had thought that the figures were of warriors only - but there were also musicians, birds, acrobats and even civil servants buried with the Emperor. The tomb was based on the Chinese idea of the Universe (as the Emperor considered himself ruler of the whole Universe!) included a river of mercury - scary! I bought a little kneeling archer as a souvenir.
The main reason for going into London was to meet up with Emma and Ting - Emma is my oldest friend that I'm still in contact with. We had a quick snack in a cafe nearby, then headed off to Queensway to try to get into a bowling alley, unsuccessfully! Then it was off to Chinatown for a real Chinese meal. It was great to see Emma and Ting again, swap stories about holidays and reminisce about school days again.

No comments: