Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Guilfest 2007

Was lucky enough to get a take-out of cask-conditioned Old Speckled Hen from work on Friday, just right to take to the festival with me :)
Soon met up with Trev and Angie with their family, Sparky and Freedom from the Alt Levs board and sat down to listen to The Hold Steady, which made quite pleasant background as I caught up on the gossip and guzzled my OSH. Rodrigo Y Gabriella stood out far more - frenetic punk-guitar playing from Mexico - I liked! Also liked the Ordinary Boys, depite the Big Brother connection; I hadn't thought I would. Too much like the Clash? Is such a thing possible? Might get their album, "Over The Counter Culture", at some point.
Gave Supergrass a miss to go and catch the end of Newton Faulkner, whom I'd seen before at Cityfest, and get a prime front-row position for The Saw Doctors. Fantastic set from the Irish folk-rockers, caught most of their classic songs before having to leave early to get the last train back from London Road, bit of a blow.
Next day woke up late but got to Stoke Park in time to enjoy Jimmy Cliff. Jimmy was playing classics like "Many Rivers To Cross" and Johnny Nash's "I Can
See Clearly Now", which was for once appropriate, as it was a bright sunshiney day! Jimmy had an orange silk suit on which only he could get away with, and was dancing up and down the stage with amazing energy. A good start to my evening, then!
By contrast, went to see Damien Dempsey with high expectations but sat through 2 limp songs and decided to try some of the smaller stages instead (there were 5 stages with non-famous bands, as well as a theatre stage and a comedy tent this year!). Not much to note though till Rory McLeod, who gave a really good performance, even though it was limited to half an hour. Rory kept his ramblings short - I don't mind him rambling, but I can see storytelling is better suited to long sets and venues such as the West End Centre (under threat, apparently). He did sing "When Mummy and Daddy Made Me" which got the biggest applause!
Crazy P and Captain were quite pleasant as I guzzled my Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, which I'd decanted into my big plastic beer bottle. Then it was off to see guitar hero Richard Thompson, who resembles my friend Simon except with a black beret. The crowd were inevitably demanding "Vincent Black Lightning" and "Beeswing", which he eventually obliged with, but there were evidently more recent fans there, shouting for "Dad's Gonna Kill Me", his contemporary anti-war song. And yes, he finished the encore with "Valerie", glad he still admires me ;-)
Richard's set unfortunately overlapped with Squeeze's, so that I ended up having to run down the field to catch them playing "Tempted" and have a sing along. Again, had to leave early, but sang "Labelled With Love" all the way back down the road to the station.
On Sunday my train to Guildford was cancelled - damm! But by an amazing coincidence one of the lads at Farnborough North suddenly said, "Are you Val Badger?" - turned out it was fellow blogger Lever!!! Lever, his mate Simon and me duly headed to the Prince of Wales to sup some real ale until the next train arrived. At the festiew, met up with Lever's other mate Phil, a huge Duke Special fan.
Had some port with me but discovered some real ale in the beer tent ("Guilfest Ale" at £3.50 a pint, ouch! Especially as it was apparently Tetley's Bitter) and some Brother's Pear Cider which was quite tasty. The Icicle Works were a bit disappointing, doing mainly cover versions, Toots and the Maytals were great though. Sadly I'd missed Simon Friend's set in the acoustic tent but caught him on the Ents 24 Stage. Think Lever quite liked him but Phil seemed a bit cynical! I thought it was a great set, had a dance to Men An Tol and Beanfield, he also played a couple of Paddy Stratton numbers which also got a lot of applause from the crowd of (mainly) Levellers fans.
Phil, silent though all the other acts, was yelling enthusiastically for Duke Special and singing wholeheartedly to all the songs. The star of the show for me however was Duke's drummer Chip, mad as a hatter but a totally amazing percussionist. Have got photos of him playing the egg whisk and cheese grater, as well as whacking the two huge bass drums. Marvellous.
Another dash across the field to Madness - by the time we got there we could only get as far as the mixing desk, and could hardly see Suggs and the boys! Still, had a good pogo to "Baggy Trousers", "House of Fun" and "Night Boat to Cairo" amongst others before the day sadly ended!
Shared taxi home due to crap train times and so ot in at an almost reasonable time for bed - just as well, was folding at the knees! Had fabulous time though, just a shame Patrick had other commitments for the weekend. Still there's always next year!

2 comments:

TCA said...

Always good fun Guildfest even if some of the acts are a bit ropey and the tickets prices steep for what you get. Impending parenthood kept us a away this year though...

Did the Saw Doctors sing "N17"? It is a truely dreadful song - I have been unfortunate to see the Saw Doctors sing this about half a dozen times supporting the acts I was interested in e.g. Pogues, WonderStuff, Souxie and the Banshees etc.. at the odd festival e.g. Cambs folk festival, Fleadh,Leeds V etc... I cannot stand it or them - in my opinon the only thing one can say in their defence is that they are not as bad as Wolfstone or Salvation.

W

Lever said...

WooHoo. Well said Belle. Er, I mean Val ;)

That was one of the best impromptu days this year. I think next the Mrs and nipper should be with us so we'll have a totally mad one in 2008, maybe we should all place chairs & tents around the place and not use them, just like everybody else did?

I think Phil's Duke Special's Number One fan :)