Sunday, March 11, 2007

Racing at Sandown

Why Sandown? After my first visit to Esher I was walking back to the station when I chanced to see a banner advertising a health and safety exhibition at the Grandstand, Sandown so I popped in to get a few freebies, I mean get some useful information for work. As well as a free smoothie and a good haul of pens, keyrings, bottle openers etc I also acquired a free Grandstand ticket to the race meeting on 10th March, worth £15! Patrick had never been to a race meeting before so he came along too.
The Grandstand at Sandown is far less grotty and sleazy than most racecourse stands, and we were pleased to find a stand selling Hogs Back real ale and Mr Whitehead's scrumpy cider. We also couldn't resist the salt beef sandwich stand for a mid-afternoon snack! The course itself is very attractive, with views stretching as far as the Wembley Arch, and the weather stayed fine and clear. We didn't make a killing on the betting though, it has to be said - I made the princely sum of 50p on the first race with an each way bet, and Pat made £1 on the last race! On the second race I was most disappointed to watch my horse leading all the way round the track, only to jump the last fence badly and unseat its rider. Stupid donkey!!
After the racing we went round Simon and Jane's for fish and chips from the award-winning chip shop in Aldershot - excellent meal it was too. Holly acquired the left over bits of fish skin.
Very pleasant day out - shame Lady Luck wasn't with me though!!

1 comment:

TCA said...

Last of the big spenders...