Monday, March 19, 2007

Climax Ceilidh Band at Godalming Ceilidh

As a member of Guildford Vox there was no way I could miss seeing our leader Anna Tabbush playing with her ceilidh band. I'd already seen Meridian, her trio, and had enjoyed the gigs a lot so I guessed I was in for a treat with Climax Ceilidh Band who are Meridian plus two.
I'd arranged to meet Linda from morris dancing at the Borough Hall, but she was a little late so I asked a nice-looking bloke if he fancied a dance, which he did! What is is to be (almost) single. Linda and I joined in with several dances, the caller Fee Lock was very good, teaching us quite complicated dances but always making sure that the beginners knew what they were doing. There were inevitably quite a few of us from Guildford Vox there, but also two people from Anna's other choir in Brighton! It was also good to sit out a few of the dances and just listen to the band, which were excellent. I am a fan of Chris Walshaw's pipe playing, and he has a beautiful set of French pipes inlaid with silver, lending a continental feel to quite a lot of the tunes. It was also amazing to see Anna playing fiddle and dancing in her stilettos! The skill of the woman!! They played many songs from their album, Come Dancing, which is of course highly recommended.
Had a pint and a half of the Hogs Back Tea from the polypin but mostly water, as I was perspiring somewhat from all the dancing. Then it was a long walk back to Linda's house to stay the night in the spare room.
Many thanks to Linda for her company and hospitality!

No comments: