Thursday, July 10, 2008

Seth Lakeman at the Cheese and Grain, Frome

As it was pouring with rain after work, Patrick and I decided to explore a couple of pubs in Frome before the gig. The Globe was all right, and we had a cold pint of Butcombe Bitter before heading off in search of food and more beer. Heading up the hill, I spotted a Blindman's Brewery pub, the Lamb Inn, with a notice in the window displaying meal times. The Beer Nose said YES and indeed there were 8 handpumps with mostly beer from Blindman's, a couple of guests from other micros and Rich's Farmhouse Cider. We noticed the unusual pies and sausages on the specials boards - I had a prawn and spring onion pie and Patrick had a Chicken Jalfrezi pie - both surprisingly delicious. Apparently they had their pie machine specially brought down from Bolton - I bet that pleases Patrick! We also bought a 2 pint takeout of the cider to drink later but it leaked out of it's carton - we will bring the proper carrykeg next time!
We had to queue up outside the Cheese and Grain till 8pm as the rain fell harder, but the reward was a standing space almost at the front. We didn't like the support act - not that she was a bad singer or guitarist, but she played Janis Joplin style blues-rock which was totally different to Seth's style of music and not really our thing. Seth came on at about 9.30 but we had to leave at about 10.45 as I was getting very tired. I did insist on staying for 'Kitty Jay' though! I wonder how many fiddle bows Seth gets through in a tour - the bow started to resemble two pony tails on a stick by the time he'd finished! I also liked the new song 'Haunt You' cowritten by Steve Knightley - but it reminded me of a certain person's strange behaviour that I've been hearing about...obviously not that happy with her new partner if she needs to pester her ex!! I need to buy the album. It's great that it's No. 8 in the charts but we folkies need to get it to No. 1, I think.
A great evening and Seth and his band were on top form. He needs to get on the stage earlier next time though ;-)

No comments: