Saturday, October 28, 2006

Bob Fox and Billy Mitchell, Farnham Maltings

Having promised Darren a review for this gig, I've gone and lost my notes that I made at the time. Oh dear, that's me in the doghouse!
Well, maybe Pete Fyffe will write a review for him. He's one of the founders of folking.com and was supporting Billy and Bob with someone else who's name esapes me!
Billy and Bob were both equally good, and being old mates from the pub, they were relaxed and happy on stage together, with lots of teasing each other about age, lack of hair etc. The thing that made me laugh out loud was their part-cover of Arthur Askey's 'Busy, Busy Bee' - I think they should do the whole song, in between their more serious songs about the decline of the coalmining and shipbuilding industries around the Tyne - just to see how the audience reacts!
It wasn't all 'grim up North' though - Billy included 'The Rocking Chair', a song about his storytelling Granddad, and 'Born at the Right Time' about being lucky enough to be born early enough (amongst other things) to afford your own house! I often make a grateful 'phew' as well, reading the property sections of the local papers! Bob sang a version of 'When The Boat Comes In' also including new lyrics on North-Eastern family life. Of course everybody joined in the chorus enthusiastically.
You can't help but like Bob and Billy - Bob's passionate dedication to North-Eastern folk, Billy's boyish good humour and the wonderful storytelling ability of both. I hope they continue to work together and tour round our way again soon!

2 comments:

Lever said...

All that talk of Tyneside makes me think you're not talking Billy Mitchell from Eastenders, right?

Valerie Moss said...

Hi Lever,
No, Billy Mitchell who used to be a member of Lindisfarne!
One of the Mitchell family as a Cockney folk singer - that'd be worth listening to ;-)
Val