Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Guildford Vox

Don't laugh - I have joined a choir!
Yesterday night I went along to Anna Tabbush's Guildford Vox choir taster night (she of Meridian and Tabbush Sisters fame) along wth about 20 other people! First of all we did warm-up exercises - a bit like aerobics, then we did some voice exercises, designed to get us singing effectively. It ws very interesting to learn how to do it properly - learning diaphragm control, the correct way to breathe in, etc. Then Anna taught us some rounds, including Jubilate Deo. Then we had to sort ourselves from low singers to high singers, bass to alto. I ended up as a mezzo-soprano, rightly or wrongly! We sang harmonies to Whim-Away, The Boar's Head Carol, and a Finnish reindeer-calling song, but I kept wanting to sing other people's tunes - very confusing! Anna was very positive and enthusiastic, and danced as she was conducting. Everyone seemed nice and I had a lot of fun, though my lungs were aching afterwards. Will definitely go back next Monday :-)

No comments: