Thursday, September 22, 2005

Paul Downes at Dorking Folk Club

Bill and I went to see Paul Downes (Other Val being at Farnham Maltings to see Last Night’s Fun). Steve Winchester was also there as a floor spot, which was a pleasant surprise.
Paul is an excellent guitarist and performs some great songs. He played ‘The Moth’ my favourite from his repertoire, also ‘Cursed Anna’ which was Bill’s favourite. He had everyone singing with ‘There but for Fortune’ (written by Phil Ochs) and ‘On a Monday Morning’ by the late Cyril Tawney.
Also caught up on the gossip about Show of Hands – apparently one of the songs Steve Knightley wrote for ‘The Path’ (concept album about the South-West Coastal Path) was originally going to be called ‘Spaniard’s Knob’ after a well-known landmark along the way! The other gossip was that Paul’s ex-wife is one of the ladies from ‘Dangerous Curves’ – wonder which one? Bet Other Val would know.
Nice music, shame about the beer in the club that night - tired Ringwood Best.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are very lucky, you can go hear Show of Hands in person! I live in sunny California, and am a huge fan. I found them on the Net, I was searching for Welsh and Celtic music (I'm 12th generation Welsh-American) and found their website, ordered CDs, and have since wished I could go see them. Alas! No US tours in the works.

I saw your profile looking for other Show of Hands fans. If ever you should get to speak to them, be sure and tell them there's a guy in the US who is a fan, please.

Do you know the band Jobe in the Manchester area? jobe.info is their website. No relation, even though my last name is Jobe; I found them the same way. It's not acoustic like Show of Hands, the band is all 20-something, but I like them just the same.

I also dig the Enlishman Richard Thompson; but I understand he moved here to sunny California. I have seen him here twice (the Sacramento area).

As I am a fan of this music, fish and chips, good ale, and Real Football, perhaps I live on the wrong side of the world?

My own blog is a poetry blog, as that's what I do.

putahcreek.blogspot.com

Well, then! As we say over here, "Have a good one!"

James Lee Jobe

Valerie Moss said...

Thanks James for your comment! Just to make you jealous I am going to see Show of Hands at Norden Farm, Maidenhead next Wednesday. Can't wait!
Val